Sunday, September 13, 2009

Yellow Daist Festival

Stone Mountain Park hosts the Yellow Daisy Festival the second weekend of September each year. It is a HUGE arts and crafts show with hundreds of different artists who bring everything from hot chocolate mixes to woodworking.

Growing up, I went every year with my mom, my sister, and our friend Denise. My mom bought Christmas gifts for her parents and my dad's parents every year - things like an old PO box turned into a bank or hand-carved drop-baskets with the Nativity scene carved into the top. We have also acquired a lot of stuff for ourselves over the years including carved picture frames, dolls, and holiday decorations. My favorite part is seeing the types of things people come up with.

I haven't been in Georgia in September since I graduated high school and my mom and Denise haven't been to the Yellow Daisy Festival since then either, though I'm not sure why. Well, this year we started talking about it back in June so we were really exciting to go yesterday. We saw some really fun ideas like swings made out of old, cut tires. They even had different designs-a classic seat swing, a rocking horse, and a hammock-style swing. My favorite idea, however, was turning old windows into shadow box tables and bulletin boards. I have been redecorating my bedroom and looking for a unique wall hanging (pictures to come of my bedroom once I am done). I also wanted a jewelry box, but haven't found anything I liked. This booth solved both those problems. I now have a unique, artsy wall hanging and instead of a jewelry box, I found something better.

My beautiful wall hanging. That's a real window frame, glass panes and all, with a fabric covered bulletin board hinged to the back. I love it! I think it has a timeless look to it.
My jewelry keeper. The slats hold earrings and their are hooks on the side and bottom (it's hard to see them in the picture) for necklaces and bracelets. I love it because it is different without being strange or tacky.

My mom also found several fun things. Here are my favorite treasures she found.
It has a bear, so we clearly needed it. We need to find pictures to put in the large letters and my dad wants to try to make a frame for it, but we already know exactly where we want to hang it.
We had to buy this for my sister. Anyone who knows her will agree that she simply needs it, there is no other explanation.

1 comment: