Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I never fully appreciated three-day-weekends until I started working a full-time job, but now I think they are AMAZING! We spent a great weekend as a family at the cabin. My parents and I left after work so we arrived early in the evening; Lisa, Evan, and the kids left after Evan got off work and it's about a five hour drive for them so they arrived around midnight.

Poor Swiper put up with lots of "love" from my favorite two-year-old. Ensley carried her around, smothered her with hugs and kisses, rocked her to sleep sing lullabies, and chased her through the house the entire weekend. We tried really hard to save her, but Ens kept insisting, "Kitty wuv me! She want to pay wif me!" Ens tried really hard to be gentle, but she's two. We were constantly reminding her not to pull the tail, not to "hug" her too tightly, and if Swiper went into her kennel it was "nap time." Despite all the abuse, Swiper was so good with Ens. She never once snarled or clawed, even when she was being dragged out of her kennel by her tail. I see a life-long friendship being formed.
Receiving a little "love."
"Wock-a-bye, Kitty, in da twee tops. . ."
Best Friends.
Just a few minutes ago Ens called my mom crying. She was so upset she could barely talk but she kept saying, "I miss the kitty!" I think Lisa and Evan may need to get a cat eventually.

While Ens was chasing the cat, my mom, Lisa, and I had a very productive weekend. We have spent the last several months trying to make the cabin our own. While we love the way it was decorated, there were two main things we knew we wanted to change. The TV cabinet was literally falling apart and the kitchen table just didn't fit with the rest of the decor and was a little too big for the cove it sits in. We have a small kitchen my parents have had there entire marriage that has been sitting in our basement for the last several years and our friends the Gregorys gave us their old armoir because they had redone their living room. Both the table and the armoir are really nice pieces of furniture, but the finishes were a little dated so decided to paint them. I wish I had before and afters, but I didn't think about it until after we had started painting, so I will just have to post before and afters of the room. The armoir was originally a white-washed color and the table was a dull brown.
The old dining room table in the middle of the kitchen with the island in the alcove.
We switched the island and the table, then we painted the legs and chairs to match the curtains.
The old TV cabinet that could barely support the weight of the TV.
The newly refinished armoir. We are going to sand the edges a little to give it a distressed look, but we wanted to wait a while to make sure it is completely dry. Also, the door handles really are even, but one door is open slightly.

I am so pleased with the results; I think they really enhance the look of the room.

We didn't spend the entire weekend painting; we went to church on Sunday, we were able to see some friends of ours who have a cabin about two miles from ours, and we had a bonfire. Ens is a huge fan of s'mores (she gets that from me), but I'm not sure how much of her s'more actually made it into her mouth.


My little man is getting so big. He is a generally happy baby and he loves to talk and flirt with anyone who will talk to him.

I love it in Blairsville. If it weren't for that pesky job I have, I would spend every day up there.

No comments: