Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Three Years

Three years ago today I was in a state of complete shock. After eighteen months of living a sheltered, scheduled life I was suddenly thrown back into the real world: I was home from my mission!

My mission was one of the greatest times of my life. I met some absolutely AMAZING people and my testimony of the Savior was strengthened in ways I never could have imagined.
I fell in love with Heather Bray and her family the first time I met them. I had been out in the mission field just one week when the bishop sent my companion and I over to meet them. Her husband, Loren, was at work when I took my parents to meet them. The reason both of our faces are red is because we had been crying at saying goodbye.
Adam was one of the most amazing miracles I experienced as a missionary. My companion and I had been praying for someone to teach when he called and said, "I would like to be baptized. Can you teach me everything I need to know so I can be baptized in two weeks?" The experience truly taught me that the Lord ABSOLUTELY answers the prayers of the faithful.
The McCormick boys - Ivan, Krys, and Donnie - were the last people who were baptized before I returned home. The boys had had a tough life, but they were resilient. Krys (in the blue and white shirt) had the sweetest spirit and such a desire to learn the gospel; Ivan (in the green shirt) was incredibly intelligent and had a great understanding of everything we taught; Donnie resisted the gospel at first, but deep within he truly had a desire obey the Lord's will. All of the Elders serving in the Lafayette Ward, along with a member of the bishopric whose name I've forgotten, were there to support the baptism.
All the missionaries in my "Go-Home" group got to attend the temple the night before we were released. It was a great way to finish!

I will always be grateful for the experiences I had on my mission, it was an eighteen months I wouldn't trade for anything. On the other hand, the past three years have been amazing. In three years I've had the opportunity to complete my school work, make amazing friends, work at a law firm (and decide against law school), and start writing a book. I truly believe that all these experiences were enhanced by or happened because of my mission. I can't wait to see what five or ten more years will bring!

No comments: